09 May Top 5 Day Trips From Glenwood Springs
Make Glenwood Springs your launch pad for experiencing Western Colorado! Start off your Glenwood Springs vacation with a relaxing soak at Iron Mountain Hot Springs, then, if time allows, explore further afield with day trips.
Day trips within 30 miles of Glenwood Springs
- Redstone, Colorado is located just 30 miles from Glenwood Springs. This drive along Highway 133 will take you through the scenic Crystal River Valley with majestic mountain views all around. Redstone was once home to a coal coking operation and you can still see the coking ovens—remnants of the industry—as
- Rifle, Colorado may not have the glitz and shine of Vail, Aspen or even Glenwood Springs, but the tough-named town just under 30 miles west of Iron Mountain Hot Springs is a true Western gem. Spend a few hours the triple waterfalls at Rifle Falls State Park, then stop in at Shooter’s Grill where the waitresses pack heat and serve burgers. You can also catch a show at the Ute Theater downtown or play a round of golf on the greens at the Rifle Creek Golf Course.
Day trips within 60 miles of Glenwood Springs
- Vail, Colorado is east of Glenwood Springs, just 60 miles or about an hour’s drive. Just because ski season is over, doesn’t mean there isn’t plenty to do in this famous alpine hamlet. Get your bearings and a feel for the European-inspired town by wandering through Vail Village. Covered bridges, public art and cute shops make this a picturesque outing. Other top attractions include the Vilar Performing Arts Center, the Betty Ford Alpine Gardens and the Vail Nature Center.
- Silver Queen Gondola to the top of Aspen Mountain for fresh air and live music on summer weekends. Surrounded by mountains, there are plenty of great hiking opportunities including the famous Maroon Bells in nearby Snowmass. When the Aspen Music Festival students are in residence, you can listen to these classically trained musicians perform at the Music Tent on Sunday afternoons or on the Aspen Pedestrian Mall where they busk for tips and applause. Aspen, Colorado, famous for its slopes and celebrities, is just as entertaining in summer. Just 40 miles south of Glenwood Springs, it’s an easy, scenic drive. Top activities include riding the
Day trips within 90 miles of Glenwood Springs
- Grand Junction, Colorado, about 90 miles west of Glenwood Springs, is home to the Colorado National Monument. The views are breath-taking as you climb from the valley floor to higher elevations. Sheer red rock cliffs, spectacular rock formations and never-ending views make this a must-do if you have time in your itinerary. Other top attractions in bustling Grand Junction include a sweet stop at the home store of Enstrom Toffee & Confectionary or drive through Colorado wine country to sample the nectar of the vines at Grand Junction wineries.
With Glenwood Springs as your home base, you can enjoy all the hot springs town has to offer including soaking at Iron Mountain Hot Springs, plus venture further afield if time allows.
The following two tabs change content below.
Karin Gamba has been writing professionally for the travel and tourism markets for nearly two decades. She has promoted a wide array of travel products that include destination towns, vacation resorts, golf courses, ski areas, spas, hotels, restaurants and countless visitor attractions. Karin especially loves writing about her hometown of Glenwood Springs.
Latest posts by Karin Gamba (see all)
- Top 5 Day Trips From Glenwood Springs - May 9, 2019
- Solutions for Iron Mountain Hot Springs Guests with Pets - May 1, 2019
- Top 5 Things to Do in Glenwood Springs - April 18, 2019
- Soaking with Strangers: A Colorado Hot Spring How To - April 10, 2019