23 Jul Colorado Historic Hot Springs Loop: Ouray and Ridgway
Click here for Iron Mountain’s up-to-date COVID-19 policies, as information may have changed.
Explore the wonder and joy of geothermal soaking along the Colorado Historic Hot Springs Loop. With new COVID protocols in place for health and safety, the state’s hot springs are an ideal choice for a relaxing getaway in the Colorado mountains. This month we’re exploring Ouray and Ridgway, Colorado.
The Colorado Historic Hot Springs Loop (CHHSL) is a 720-mile drive through western Colorado that connects the state’s legendary hot springs in Glenwood Springs, Ouray and Ridgway, Pagosa Springs, Chaffee County and Steamboat Springs.
The first article in this series focused on Glenwood Springs including Iron Mountain Hot Springs as a featured destination. You can read more about it HERE. This month, we’re shining a spotlight on our friends in Ouray and Ridgway.
As you plan your travels, check with individual hot springs for specific COVID-19 protocols. Iron Mountain Hot Springs requires guests make reservations in advance and wear a mask at all times except while soaking. Our FAQ page has more details about Iron Mountain Hot Springs’ COVID guidelines.
Known as the Switzerland of America, Ouray exudes Colorado high-alpine charm. Surrounded by rugged, snow-capped peaks, visitors are attracted to a broad range of outdoor activities that include a world-class ice climbing park, jeeping and off-roading, as well as hiking, biking, horseback riding and camping. Its downtown is filled with Victorian-age architecture and unique locally-owned shops, breweries, distilleries, coffee roasters, gourmet candy purveyors, restaurants and more.
Hot Springs in Ouray
- Ouray Hot Springs Pool & Fitness Center. Family-friendly, there’s something for all ages here including splash-free areas for adult-oriented soaking, lap lanes for swimming and an activity pool an inflatable obstacle course and climbing wall.
- The Historic Wiesbaden Hot Springs Spa & Lodgings. Channeling the spa traditions of Europe, the Wiesbaden is ideal for couples seeking a luxurious wellness-themed getaway. It features several hot springs pools, a natural-steam cave and a waterfall grotto for private soaks.
- Box Canyon Lodge & Hot Springs. Staggered along the hillside and accessible by a staircase, Box Canyon features four vintage redwood soaking tubs for lodge guests to use. All are positioned to take advantage of the spectacular scenery.
- Twin Peaks Lodge & Hot Springs. Guests can enjoy three hot springs experiences: a large outdoor swimming pool that’s comfortably warm, a waterfall pool with the highest temperatures, and an adults-only indoor pool that features a pebble bottom and water jets.
Known as the “Gateway to the San Juan Mountains,” Ridgway is famous for its friendly locals and small-town hospitality. The mountains here were ground zero for silver and gold mining. While the gold may be gone, the town’s western spirit and authentic laid-back lifestyle continue to inspire exploration. Featuring an abundance of public artwork, galleries and studios, Ridgway is a Certified Colorado Creative District with more than 10 percent of residents describing themselves as artists.
Hot Springs in Ridgway
- Orvis Hot Springs. Orivis is one of the few clothing-optional choices for hot springs soaking. Carefully tended and verdant, the landscaping that surrounds the soaking pools provides both a sense of serenity and privacy. Along with going au naturel, the resort’s pools have a nature-inspired look and feel to them with rock boulders, pebble bottoms and cascading waterfalls.
Look for more articles about the Colorado Historic Hot Springs Loop on our website at Iron Mountain Hot Springs and make plans to visit today!
Latest posts by Karin Gamba (see all)
- What to Do Memorial Day Weekend in Glenwood Springs - May 23, 2023
- Employees Dish on Their Favorite Soaking Pools - April 21, 2023
- More To Dig Into at the Sopris Café - March 29, 2023
- Hot Date! You’ll Love Meeting Up at Iron Mountain Hot Springs - February 27, 2023