05 Jun 8 Tips to Make Every Day a Day of Wellness
Global Wellness Day, June 9, is a worldwide celebration that encourages everyone to take a step toward a healthier life. At Iron Mountain Hot Springs, we show you how to embrace wellbeing every day of the year!
According to Global Wellness Day Founder Belgin Aksoy Berkin, “One day can change your whole life.” When it comes to healthier living, taking small steps every day is the easiest path to making big, impactful lifestyle changes. To commemorate the 2018 event, we’re adapting the Global Wellness Day’s Manifest specifically for Iron Mountain Hot Springs visitors and for anyone interested in reaping the benefits of improved health and wellness.
- Walk for an hour. The benefits of walking include getting stronger, losing belly fat, lowering cholesterol and feeling happier—not bad for an exercise that only requires a pair of sneakers. With re-entry included in admission, visitors to Iron Mountain Hot Springs can easily incorporate a walk of any length into their day. A network of trails begins at nearby Two Rivers Park. From there choose to stroll along the Rio Grande Trail, which follows the Roaring Fork River, or wend your way along the paved route that tucks under I-70 to meander through downtown Glenwood Springs.
- Drink more water. Water is the elixir of life. Our bodies require water to function properly. Dehydration can cause a myriad of problems including decreased kidney function, dizziness, headaches and fatigue. If you’re spending the day at Iron Mountain Hot Springs, hydrating is vitally important. During the hot summer months our bodies lose water more rapidly due to perspiration; to counteract the loss of fluids, sip water throughout the day. Iron Mountain Hot Springs has two water bottle filling stations located in the bathhouse, making it convenient to replenish anytime with fresh, cold, filtered, healthy water.
- Lather up. A shocking one in five Americans is diagnosed with skin cancer every year. Protecting your skin from the sun’s harmful rays is as easy as slathering on sunscreen and wearing a hat. Before entering the soaking pools we recommend rinsing in the outdoor showers to wash away lotions and perfumes so that your skin can easily absorb the benefits of the 14 dissolved minerals contained in the pools. While soaking wear a wide-brimmed hat for protection from the sun’s rays. Upon exiting the pools apply sunscreen that’s at least 30 SPF. Repeat as often as necessary!
- Minimize plastic. Drinking water or other beverages from disposable plastic bottles is a convenient way to hydrate. When you’re through, remember to recycle. The environment will thank you for it. For the healthiest and most environmentally sustainable option, consider toting along a refillable water bottle. If you forget yours, the retail store at Iron Mountain Hot Springs sells a variety of beverage containers. Next step, fill it with delicious Glenwood Springs water sourced from two nearby waterways in Glenwood Canyon—Grizzly Creek and No Name Creek. How refreshing!
- Eat healthy food. A big part of an effective wellness program is consuming foods that are life-supporting and healthy. The Sopris Café at Iron Mountain Hot Springs offers a wide selection of satisfying and nutritious options including flat bread pizzas, an assortment of wraps, four different salads, fruit smoothies and a meat and cheese tray for those cutting down on carbohydrates.
- Do a good deed. Simple acts of kindness have the potential to make the world a happier place. Doing something nice for a complete stranger can improve your confidence, happiness and optimism. It can also have a ripple effect by encouraging others to do the same. How can you do a good deed at Iron Mountain Hot Springs? Use a soft voice in the Quiet Zone, drink alcoholic beverages responsibly, if you’re leaving ask someone who is arriving if they’d like your lounge chair, make room for newcomers in your soaking pool, start a conversation with another guest, help a struggling parent with his or her child. All these are good ideas, but we’re confident you’ll find even more opportunities to be kind and thoughtful during your visit.
- Have a family meal. Vacationing may actually make it easier to eat together as a family. The Sopris Café is open daily for lunch and dinner. Why not, put away the smart phones and sit down together at the café’s covered patio to enjoy a meal al fresco as a family. It’s a great time to check in with everyone and share favorite moments. Research shows that sharing a family meal can have a psychologically positive effect on children.
- Sleep by 10. A good night’s sleep is essential for wellbeing. Adequate sleep is a key part of a healthy lifestyle, and can benefit your heart, weight, mind, and more. To foster a good night’s rest, aim for consistent sleep habits like having regular bed and waking times. If possible, shoot for a minimum of seven hours of shut-eye per night. Trouble getting to sleep? A pre-bedtime soak at Iron Mountain Hot Springs might be the perfect natural sleep aid. Research suggests that soaking in hot water before bed can lead to a deeper and more peaceful sleep.
Be well today and every day. Learn more about how to incorporate hot springs soaking into your wellness lifestyle at Iron Mountain Hot Springs.
Latest posts by Karin Gamba (see all)
- All About Our Water - August 7, 2018
- Sweet Treats & Good Eats at Iron Mountain Hot Springs - July 13, 2018
- Spine-injured Athletes Moving Again after Intensive NFT Course - July 10, 2018
- 8 Tips to Make Every Day a Day of Wellness - June 5, 2018